Rescuing Bengal Monitor & Bran Owl



Bengal Monitor or common Indian Monitor is widely distributed over the Indian Subcontinent, this lizard is mainly terrestrial and its length can range about 60 to 175 cm young lizards are more colorful than adult, young have series of dark crossbars on the neck, throat and back. Bengal Monitor are usually solitary and found on the ground, although the young are often seen on trees. These lizards are shy and avoid humans, they have keen eyesight and can detect human movement nearly 250 m away. When caught a few individuals may bite, but rarely do so. Folk mythology across the region includes the idea that these lizards are venomous and local people of my village and rest of the parts of India believe that they become venomous only during rainy season. But as i come to know that bite of these lizards are poisonous resulting in swelling and excessive bleeding.

   
It was the month of January of 2016 when i rescue this lizard from the crowd of daily labor who is willing to kill this animal, the scene happens at the grocery shop near my house, the shop owner was so much worried that he started shouting and calling peoples to kill this lizard, when i come to know all his i went there and i see peoples trying to kill this creature with the help of sticks and spear, i told them not to kill as it wont hurt them, i went into that shop and caught this lizard bare handed and take it to my home, i found that this lizard was a bit lucky that it do not get any wound on his body. I keep his lizard for nearly 4 to 5 hours and take these shots with my Nikon D 3300, after having the photo shoot of this lizard i take it to the nearby river to release in his natural habitat and i watch this lizard until it vanishes from my eyes.       


The animal rescue stories are many but i want to share one of my incident that happen on January month of 2016, i was called by a local farmer nearly 2 to 3 Km away from my house, he told me that a very big owl was in very pitiable condition and wounded, and he might barely survive is laying in my fields. I went there to see the reality, there i found a Barn Owl in the same condition as that farmer described to me, this time i carry a jute bag with me as i was thinking how will i carry this bird without hurting him. After reaching home with that owl i started cleaning his wounds with antiseptic, i kept that owl for 5 to 6 days with me with care, and that owl is also recovering from his wounds very fast. After few days when i saw that his wounds are recovered fully i take him to my fields to see if he can fly or not. But as i put him on the ground he flew away within a second, and that satisfied me i cant explain in words.

            


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bangle Seller & A Barber

Experiencing Photography In A Creative Way

Camera Settings For Bird Photography